Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Buying back my garbage

I generally start thinking about my next knitting project well before I finish the current one, and this time around is no exception. I've been remembering a couple of sweaters in the past that I would like a re-do on--one that left with a failed relationship a la the sweater curse and one that out-paced my knitting skills at the time and only got half-finished before being unraveled and dispatched to Goodwill.

In an uncharacteristic fit of tidiness, I had years ago tossed out the magazines that contained both of these patterns. Today, however, you can find almost anything online (except Polish salt--still looking for that), and through a little persistence I was able to track down both patterns.

The first one was relatively easy. I remembered that it was from a Vogue Knitting magazine, and I was able to zero in on the date because I knew which guy got the sweater. It wasn't long before I had the fall/winter 1988 issue waiting for me in my mailbox:



The sweater is called Hearts of Aran. It's by Elizabeth Zimmerman and was a lot of fun to knit. It is knit in the round starting at the bottom, and the only finishing work to be done is grafting the underarm seams closed:



The second one presented more of a detective challenge. For one thing, I wrongly remembered it to be from Vogue Knitting as well. Then I had a flash of inspiration and realized it was a Pinguoin pattern magazine. I was also temporarily led astray because I recalled the sweater in the picture as black and red, but no, those were the colors I was using in my doomed creation. I eventually figured all this out and tracked down a copy of the magazine in Canada:



I'm still a little intimidated by this pattern, but a little excited at the same time:



I don't know which of these sweaters (if either--I have other ideas, too) will be my next project. I need to get through the current sweater, and I have hit a small snag (pardon the knitting pun). I'm halfway through the second sleeve, and I have decided that they are just too darn long. So they need to be shortened and my options are either to (1) open up where I cast on, rip out however many rows, and then bind off or (2) knit the second sleeve shorter and re-knit the first sleeve. It's not that big a deal, but it will require thinking, and I hate having to think while I knit.

Unless I'm thinking about my next project, that is . . .

No comments: