Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sweater weather

I was in college when I learned the art of sabotaging relationships through handicrafts. In hindsight, they were probably doomed anyway, but I guess I thought that if I could dazzle the poor guy with my madd needlework skillz that we could still get to happily ever after. It took me a while to wise up, and that is why there is an elite club of men out there who are (or at least were) the proud owners of a variety of cross-stitch projects and even a few hand-knit sweaters.

When Fred and I started dating, one of the first pieces of advice I got from my mom, my sister, my best friend, etc., was this: "For God sake don't make him anything! Not until you've got a ring on your finger at any rate."

The older and wiser me listened, and it wasn't until after we got back from our honeymoon that I decided to point my knitting needles in Fred's direction. I made him a 100% wool Aran sweater that I designed myself, worked in what I am told is the traditional Aran method, which leaves no pesky seams for stitching up at the end:



It's been so stinking cold up here lately that I've been borrowing Fred's sweater quite a lot. I'm still enjoying my scarf project (over halfway done!), and I've been considering doing another Aran sweater out of the same kind of wool. I'm really on the fence though as to whether I feel like doing cables next or maybe some colorwork. I might not know for sure until the next time I go the yarn store.

Here's a picture of Mike wearing Fred's sweater:



Fred seems to be immune to the sweater curse, but I hope Mike doesn't run away from home now.

No comments: