Monday, September 22, 2008

Homecoming: extended version

Since I'm not going to make my meeting tonight, I figured I would take a little time and post the pictures from homecoming, which I know some of you have been anxiously awaiting.

When Brittany arrived, there was the exchanging of flowers:





Then, figuring that the inside of my front door just wasn't festive enough for such a special occasion, we went into the yard to get some pictures.

Mike and Brittany:



Brittany and her sister:



Mike, looking like he's giving new meaning to the phrase "double dating":



After the kids left, Annabelle and I made a brief appearance at a party of our own, which I shall tell you about tomorrow. I had to get back home by 7:30 to leave for the dance. The dance seemed to go over really well. We had about 250 kids there and a ton of free refreshments.

Remember my ill-fated effort to collect the bottles after the back-to-school dance? This time I was determined that come hell or high water we were not going to shove a lot of plastic into a landfill. I wound up stationing myself by the trash cans and grabbing the used cups as kids came up to throw them away (and occasionally digging around in the trash in the dark for those that made it past me). The teachers were a big help towards the end of the evening in collecting abandoned cups from the tables and adding them to the pile.

When all was said and done, this is what we had saved for recycling (that's about 600 plastic cups behind the water bottles):



It is now in my back yard, tucked away behind our grill to hide from the bulk pickup people and waiting for Thursday's recycling truck.

No comments: