Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fabulous prizes

So, as I was trying to say before Blogger so rudely interrupted me, yesterday was Fred's award ceremony (as well as the awards ceremony for about a half-dozen other people who are also leaving the command this summer). We had an office call with the CG first, which was nice, and then everybody filed into the plush conference room for the ceremony. Here's the official group shot:



Fred received the Legion of Merit (hooray, Fred!):



I received 3 awards--one for outstanding civilian service, one for my volunteer activities, and a spouse appreciation certificate:



I wish I had had the official photog snap a family pic of us, but he was gone by the time the receiving line broke up. I had somebody take one with my camera, which didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but oh well:



After the ceremony, the kids and I raced up to Louisville for their long-awaited date with the Apple store. We split the cost of new laptops with them. I was able to get the education discount because of my status as an FSU student, so not only did we save $100 per computer and some money off the care plan as well, but we also got an 8-gig iPod Touch with each machine. (Those are for me and Fred; the kids have had iPods for 2 years now, but we are iPod-less.) Oh, and they also each got a printer/scanner for free, but that wasn't part of the education discount; that's just a promotion the store is running. Anyway, they are thrilled with their new machines:



They are both feeling the Mac love in a very big way. Annabelle's friend Maya also has a Mac, so ever since Annabelle got her computer set up last night, they have been IMing with their webcams. If this gets me my phone back, it will be well worth the cost! I keep thinking of what my cousin Julie and I would have given back in the day to have this kind of communication. Sometimes I think I should stand by Annabelle when she's on the phone long-distance and keep up a running total out loud of "how much this is costing!" Just so she can see what life was like in the Dark Ages.

No comments: