Sunday, August 02, 2009

End of the season

I am so not ready for summer to end! The kids go back to school tomorrow, and I swear it's like the weather knows it. Our high today was 80. Hello, global warming? Where are you?

I have been busy, busy, busy the past few days. My planets, stars, whatever must be in perfect alignment, because I have been Getting Stuff Done. It's like I'm playing tennis with Life, and each fuzzy ball that sails my way, I calmly smack back across the net. Laundry? Smack. Cooking? Smack. School supply shopping? Smack, smack. I can't get too cocky though. Tonight I was thinking about how uncharacteristically on top of things I've been lately, and then I picked up a load of dirty clothes from the basement floor and stuffed it into the dryer. Then I stood there and thought, "No, wait, that's not quite right."

This evening we had our neighborhood back-to-school BBQ, which was nice. The housing office donated hamburgers and hot dogs and let us block off traffic on my street. We lined picnic tables and chairs up and down the street and had a nice little block party.

I spent the past hour or so removing belt loops from Annabelle's pants. Under the new dress code, you have to wear a belt only IF your pants have belt loops. Going beltless is Annabelle's way of refusing to let The Man get her down.

Last night I took Annabelle to Bardstown to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. My review is decidedly mixed. I had never seen the show before, and it is definitely not one of my favorite Andrew Lloyd Webbers, but the cast did an amazing job of it. It was at an outdoor amphitheater, which I knew going in, but it never dawned on me that the whole flipping thing would be uncovered! Everybody else knew though, and had brought rain jackets and umbrellas. We had a brief rain delay in Act 2, but they finally made it all the way through the play. I tried to sit there and pretend I was laid back. But really? I just can't spend $20 per ticket AND drive an hour each way and then have to worry about getting rained out. My nerves can't take it.

No comments: