Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Reality TV, practically in my backyard

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" has been hard at work up in Louisville for the past few days. They are building a new house for Patrick Henry Hughes and his family. I've seen stories on Hughes in the newspaper occasionally since we moved here: He was born without eyes and unable to straighten his arms, but he plays trumpet for the University of Louisville marching band. His father works nights for UPS so that he can be available for his son during the day, including pushing his wheelchair through the marching formations and helping him get to class.

Today's the big day for the Hughes family, when they return to see their new home. I wish I could go up for the "big reveal," but we've got a full afternoon of swim practice, homework, guitar lessons, etc. So I'll just have to continue following the story through my local paper. Here's a link to today's article, which also includes links to previous articles and photos.

Editing to add: I forgot about another reality TV connection to this area, and now it looks like there's a connection between the 2! Kynt Cothron, half of the goth duo on this seasons "Amazing Race," is from Louisville, and apparently he showed up the other day to volunteer on the Hughes house.

No comments: