Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Some soup for you

Before I got distracted last night by the threat of impending eviction, I was going to share a delicious recipe. When we go to Orlando, we almost always eat at this one Thai restaurant that has the most delicious Tom Ka Gai (Thai chicken soup). I have been having a wicked craving for it lately, but alas there is no trip to Orlando in my immediate future, so I found this recipe on the web and gave it a try.

Cooking it was kind of an adventure, as I had to go to our local Asian grocery for 3 items I had never cooked with before: kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, and galangal, which I have no idea how to pronounce but appears to be some sort of cousin to ginger. Then there were the other, less-exotic exotic ingredients that I am more familiar with, such as fish sauce and coconut milk.

Annabelle gave it a good try but declared it to be not her thing. Mike scarfed down a couple of bowls and seemed to enjoy it. I loved it, and I loved it even more tonight. I think the flavors intensified overnight.

I seem to be in a soupy mood these days. This one is next on my list. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: