Thursday, May 28, 2009

A noodles and ground beef kind of night

I have a very long list of favorite meals from my childhood: stuffed cabbage, breaded pork chops, chicken gumbo, Laredo (mmmm, Laredo--that's basically just chili with cheese, but I badger Mom into making it every time I go home to Florida) . . . . And then I have a very short list of detested childhood meals: tuna-noodle casserole and noodles with ground beef.

The thought of either of those makes me feel a little urpy, so of course I never worked them into my repertoire when I started running my own kitchen. But then several years ago, my mom made noodles and ground beef (recipe: brown some ground beef with onion; boil and drain some noodles; mix together) for the kids, and they acted loved it.

Occasionally now when I'm not especially hungry but the kids are (like tonight), I whip up some noodles and ground beef for them, and they act like it is the Best. Thing. Ever! Hmmm . . . maybe I should try my hand at tuna-noodle casserole? Nah, I wouldn't want to spoil them.

No comments: