Sunday, October 19, 2008

When life gives you lemons . . .

. . . buy a new gadget! This is my new favorite kitchen toy:



I am all about fresh lemonade these days, and with my handy-dandy lemon squisher I can get a cup of juice out of 5 lemons in under 10 minutes. While I'm busy with the juice, I have a cup of sugar melting in a cup of boiling water to make simple syrup. Pour the juice and the syrup into a 2-quart pitcher and fill the rest of the way with cold water and voila!

In other food-related news, we were supposed to have fish tonight. I had a couple pounds of arctic char (think of it as a kinder, gentler salmon) soaking in Soy Vay Island Terriyaki and brussels sprouts roasting in the oven when I realized that I was completely out of jasmine rice. This, I figured, is why we let Mike get his driver's license, so I sent him up to the commissary to get some. Unfortunately, the commissary had already closed for the night, and I'm not quite ready to send him to Walmart. So I stuck the fish back in the fridge for tomorrow night, ordered a couple pizzas, and nibbled on roasted brussels sprouts while we waited (TWO HOURS) for them to arrive.

While I was waiting and "watching" them cook our pizzas, I took the Dominos poll. I am pleased to report that Obama is kicking butt in that poll. The Philly cheese steak sandwich is also doing well:

No comments: