Thursday, July 17, 2008

I scream, you scream . . .

. . . we all scream for ice cream!

Yesterday my friend Miki sent me this photo that was taken of her son Michael in Iraq:



The caption at DefenseLINK says:
U.S. Army Capt. Michael Kolton buys ice cream from a street vendor during a combined patrol with Iraqi police officers in Baghdad, Iraq, on July 8, 2008. Kolton is platoon leader, 4th Platoon, Bravo Troop, 1st Squadron, 75th Cavalry, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division. DoD photo by Spc. Charles W. Gill, U.S. Army.
It just amazes me because even though we've seen Michael fairly regularly over the years since Miki and I met in our third year of law school, in my mind he will always be about the same age as the Iraqi kids in that photo. Not to get all "Sunrise, Sunset" or anything, but how is it possible that he is an army captain already? At any rate, we're all terribly proud of him and keep him in our thoughts every day, so I thought I would share the photo here.

No comments: