Sunday, July 27, 2008

Home cooking

This month's issue of Fine Cooking has an article devoted to gin and a recipe for a homemade Tom Collins. Tom was a very good friend of mine back in the day, so I was eager to try it out. I squeezed my own lemons and made my own simple syrup (sugar and water--see? simple!) and poured it all together, and it was quite tasty:



I felt like I had stepped right out of a scene from Mad Men as I sipped my cocktail. All I needed was a cigarette, some stern foundation garments, and a dude in a suit to treat me like crap, and the scene would have been complete. Anybody else watching this one? It's my new addiction; I've been catching up on season 1 and can't wait for season 2 to start tonight! Was 1960 really so smokey? And were men really such pigs?

I might have to make another TC to go along with tonight's show!

No comments: