Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Resolved

Some people don't like New Year's resolutions, but I love them. I've got all the usual resolutions covered this year--lose a few pounds, hit the gym, be more organized, etc. I think my REAL resolution, however, is to be a lot more careful about what responsibilities I take on.

Don't get me wrong. I'm really lucky. There's nothing in my life that I don't want to do, or at least that I didn't want to do when I signed up to do it. It's just that I have a problem saying no, and there is so much out there to be done. It recently dawned on me, however, that there will never be a point where people will say, "Oh, heavens, no, let's not ask Bonnie to do that! She has enough on her plate already." So I am going to have to be a lot more hard-nosed about saying no.

I'm not dropping anything for the rest of this school year. I'll still be on the school board, and I'll still be the sophomore class parent. I'll still be the band boosters treasurer and the adviser for the welfare committee of my community club. I'm going to do the Run for the Gold one more time (Fred is out in the garage cutting out wooden horses as I type this). And I'm going to stay in school and keep on freelancing, so it's not like I'm going to be sitting around eating chocolate all day. I'll still be a contributing member of society, but I want more time to do for my family and for myself, so I'm done adding outside obligations, at least for a while.

One thing I want to do for myself and for my family is to take better care of my blog. I love it that sometimes I'll catch one of the kids going through the archives and remembering the good times. To that end, I have signed up to participate in Blog 365--blogging every day for 2008 (with a day off for February 29). Hey, it's just a lap around the sun, right?

No comments: