Saturday, January 12, 2008

I have had a dream

A couple mornings a week, the first words out of my mouth to Fred are: "I had the strangest dream last night." You can see his eyes glaze over as he resigns himself to spending the next few minutes hearing my dream retold in minute detail. I figure that now though my dreams can serve as Blog365 fodder.

So anyway, I had the strangest dream last night . . .

I dreamed that the high school here was preparing for some sort of big event. Perhaps it was homecoming, as they seemed to be expecting a lot of Very Important Visitors, which doesn't make sense, as not a lot of people come back for our homecoming, given the transient nature of our student body. As part of this effort, they were doing a LOT of major building projects, which also doesn't make sense, as efforts for homecoming tend to be more along the lines of hallway decorating rather than anything that involves cement and steel beams.

My dad was visiting, and he and I were driving past one of these works in progress, and I casually asked him if he knew what Potemkin villages were. He said he did not (which is how I should have known I was dreaming, because if something happened in history, my dad knows about it). I explained to him that they were fake villages erected in Russia to please the tsar when he got a bug up his butt to go see how the peasants were doing. (It was actually Catherine the Great that these villages were set up to fool, but in my dream, I just lumped her in with all Russian rulers and assigned the male pronoun. Sorry, Kate.)

Then I got a burst of inspiration and said, "Hey, wouldn't Potemkin High make a great name for a school in just the right kind of book?" And my dad agreed that yes, that would be a brilliant idea.

So, analyze THAT!

Fred just left to drop the kids off for the swim team bus. We're off to Louisville for another meet. Think fast thoughts for Mike and Annabelle!

No comments: