Friday, April 11, 2008

Thought for the day: Life is not a DVR

Ever since we got the DVR, I hardly ever watch live TV. I set my favorite shows to record and then watch them when they fit best into my schedule. One of the benefits to this approach is that I hardly ever see commercials, because I just zip right past them.

I've noticed though that when I am watching something on a TV without a DVR, I sometimes itch to pause, rewind, or fast-forward. I've even had this happen on the rare occasion that I find myself watching a film in a theater. I'll have the urge to pause the film for a bathroom break or so I can go get more popcorn.

Today, however, I had similar thoughts in real life. I took Ginger for her lunch-time walk and was hoping to beat the rain. I was about 5 minutes too late for that though, so we got quite wet as we walked that last block or so. I found myself wanting to pause the rain and not wanting to like "oh wouldn't it be cool if I could do this?" but wanting to like I meant to do it. For a split second, I really thought I could just pause the rain and then fast-forward through it once we got home!

No comments: