Thursday, November 04, 2010

Lucky cat

Annabelle called me at 6:45 this morning from the bus stop to tell me that she and her friend Christina had found a cat that had almost gotten hit crossing the street. He appeared to have a broken leg, the bus was there, and they didn't know what to do. I told her to hang onto the cat and sit tight. I hopped out of bed and pulled on pants, shoes, and a jacket and ran out into the darkness to see what was going on.

The girls and I brought the kitty into our house, where they held him in the kitchen while I ran to the basement for our cat carrier. When I got a closer look at him, I could see that he had his front leg caught through his collar, which was why he had been limping. I grabbed scissors and cut the collar off. The kitty didn't need any encouraging to go into the carrier, so we loaded him up and took off.

I dropped the girls off at school and took the cat to the vet here on post. He had a rabies tag, so I figured we had a good shot at finding his people. They scanned him at the vet for a microchip, and sure enough he had one (required for pets here on post), so they were able to call the owners to let them know to come pick up their cat.

It turns out the kitty's name is Tigger. Not the most original choice, but I have a red dog named Ginger, so who am I to cast stones? I hope that Tigger's owners are a lot more careful in the future about making sure that he stays inside!

I promised the girls I would get a picture of him at the vet's:





When I got home, the sun was just coming up, and the holiday lights were on in the park across the street from my house. I snapped a quick shot, but it doesn't do the scene justice:

No comments: