Friday, April 24, 2009

Bird brain

Remember how I fixed up my porch to be a proper nursery for all the baby robins I was looking forward to having this year? And then how excited I got about having the starlings nesting in the vent above my sink? Well, it would appear that the starlings have scared off the robins. I did catch a starling pilfering nesting material from the robin nest one day, so I can't really blame the robins for moving on to greener pastures.

The other day I noticed that I've got a robin nest in one of the bushes in front of my house. I checked while I was out with the dog this morning, and sure enough the nest was full of fuzzy, beaky heads. I miss being able to peek out my kitchen window and watch the babies like I did last year, so when I went inside, I tried to figure out if I could see the nest through one of my living room windows. It turns out I can't, and to add injury to insult, I kicked the couch by accident on my way to the window, and I'm pretty sure I broke my toe. That's a bummer--no baby birds to watch AND a purple toe.

Tonight I was at a shopping center in E'town when I noticed a starling flying out of a hole in a metal street-light pole. On a hunch I stuck my camera in the hole and snapped a pic. Sure enough--babies!

No comments: