Sunday, April 05, 2009

2586.6 miles later

We're home! The trip was a complete success--we got everything done that we set out to do--and there were no major fires to put out along the way. Sure feels good to be home though!

I was also happy to see that Mama Bird is back. (If you don't know who Mama Bird is, go check the archives from this time last year.) When I saw signs of spring approaching, I went back and forth with myself over whether to remove the nest and try to dissuade the robins from using my back porch as a maternity ward or whether to embrace it and make the porch into the best place for baby birds that I possibly could. If you recall from last year, the problem was that eventually the babies outgrew the nest, and somebody invariably wound up going overboard (and I would wind up taking that somebody to the wildlife rehabilitator). Wildlife experts swear that mother birds will continue to care for grounded babies, but my back porch backs up to an alley rather than a grassy yard, so leaving the poor little dudes just wasn't an option. In the end, I decided to welcome the birds back and baby-bird proof my back porch. A couple weeks ago, Annabelle helped me staple screening over the lattice sides to keep babies from falling off the porch, and when we have actual babies, I'll put a knee-high piece of plywood across the steps. I see that Mama Bird has been doing some home improvements as well (those leaves weren't there when we left for Florida):

No comments: