Sunday, February 22, 2009

Champion time killer

I work awfully hard some days at wasting time. Yesterday, for example, I decided that I wanted a special cellphone ringtone and image for when Fred calls me. First I ripped a song from a CD of the 82nd Airborne Division Chorus and trimmed it down to a 17-second WAV file using the Windows Sound Editor. I reduced the quality to PCM, mono, 8 kHz, 16-bit (not that I have the first freakin' clue what that means, but I was loosely following the directions in this blog post). Then I downloaded PureVoice and used it to convert the file to a QCP format--again, not because I know what that means but because that blog post said to).

Once I had the sound file ready, I picked one of my favorite photos of Fred from my old blog. It shows Fred relaxed, sporting a 2-week growth of beard, and eating French fries (in France) with a knife. I used Rumkin.com's Sprint uploader to upload the files to the Internet, which I then downloaded to my phone via links in texts sent from Rumkin. I assigned them to Fred's listing in my contacts, and voila! Now when Fred calls me, I get this:



I always feel so stupid when it comes to cellphones, so I'm rather proud of myself. I'm hoping that next time I want to create a ringtone I'll be able to pull it together in under an hour. Not bad for a first time though!

No comments: