Sunday, December 24, 2006

My big backyard

I was sitting here in the kitchen this afternoon, trying in vain to win at a game of Spider Solitaire (thanks, Grandma and Dave, for getting me hooked on that!) when I noticed a sudden movement outside. I thought it was a bird swooping by, but when I looked out on my back porch, I found this little guy valiantly trying to hide a piece of toast in an abandoned bird's nest:



The crows finally scared him away, and my neighbor's cat was skulking around too, so he probably decided to keep a low profile for a while. (Remember the cat that chased my dog? That's the one.)

The squirrel is gone, but the toast is still in the bird's nest. I feel like going all to-kill-a-mockingbird on him and leaving various treats in the nest. What does one give a squirrel though? Heaven knows I would never have thought of toast!

No comments: