Friday, November 17, 2006

This and that

Once again I'm approaching the end of the day without anything terribly blog-worthy. Hmmmmm . . . let's see . . .

Oh, I know! Somehow or another I am finding myself more and more involved in local education matters. First I got invited to attend a conference in Atlanta after Thanksgiving that's geared toward helping communities affected by BRAC meet the educational needs of military children during the transformation. Yesterday I went to a board of education meeting and heard all about how the budget has been slashed to the bone ("Global War on Terrorism: brought to you in part by the children of the people fighting it"). And today I went to my first meeting as the OCSC rep for the Ft. Knox School Transition Response Team. We heard a presentation from a couple of guys from the Department of Education about impact aid, which I know sounds terribly boring but was actually quite interesting.

Aside from that, I've been working on my current indexing project, moving kids around to all of their various activities, and trying to do some shopping for our holiday formal before the post-Thanksgiving crunch time starts and turns the malls into battlefields.

I've also been trying to clean up the cyber-clutter that I have strewn about between 2 computers. Tonight I rescued some really old files that were stuck on old-fashioned floppy disks. Sadly, most items were unsalvageable, but I found a cute old picture of the kids:



Mike is 6 in that photo; Annabelle is 3. I have no brilliant ideas for a Christmas photo this year, and I'm wondering if I could just recycle this one. Probably not.

One interesting note: Shortly after Annabelle came out of her cast, Mike fell off his bunk-bed ladder and broke HIS arm. We were well known in the casting room, which really isn't a position you want to be in as a parent.

No comments: