Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Well, this is going to stink

No, really. Remember Mr. Stinky, the strange and exotic plant I brought back from Hawaii? It relies on flies for pollination, and it attracts these flies by producing large flowers that mimic rotting flesh. I have waited years, YEARS, for Mr. Stinky to bloom and so far nada. But here I am getting ready to go out of town, and he has a bloom:



At first I wasn't sure what to do. It's not like I can put him outside, you know? It's COLD out there at night, especially for a plant from Hawaii. But I can't really let him stink up the whole house either, and as excited as I am about this trip (we'll be seeing Fred for a week in Charlottesville), I'm kind of bummed to be missing the blossom. I thought for a moment about nipping it in the bud, so to speak, but I just can't. So Mr. Stinky is now going to have exclusive rights to our downstairs bathroom. I just hope the process takes a while and that I get to see the plant in full bloom.

No comments: