Thursday, September 10, 2009

Contact sports

You might recall that I got contact lenses (multifocal rigid gas permeable ones) a little over a week ago. As of Wednesday, I was feeling like quite the contact lens failure. My eye doctor expected me to start with them in for 5 hours a day, increasing 2 hours each consecutive day until--somewhere around the 12 hours a day mark, which I should have hit in just a few days--I could expect an increase in comfort. I. just. couldn't. do. it.

By last weekend, I couldn't even stand the thought of putting them anywhere near my eyes let alone sticking them in for 5 hours, 7 hours, 9 hours, and so on. I heard from several friends, however, who said that a week just isn't enough adjustment time, so I decided to be patient with myself. I wore them for 3 hours on Wednesday, 4 hours yesterday, and 6 (SIX!) today. Of course that last hour today was just because I was too busy to stop and rip them out of my head.

Oh, and speaking of ripping them out of my head. I am getting better at getting them in with only 3 or 4 tries, but I am supposed to be able to blink them out to remove them, and it just doesn't work for me. I have a little suction tool though that I call my eye plunger, and I am getting quite handy with it. It's tiny though, and I'm terrified that I'm going to lose it, so when I go back for my re-check on Monday, I'm going to ask for several spares.

I am amazed at the difference in vision. I took them out tonight before making a run to Walmart with Annabelle, and I was marveling at the difference. Things just aren't as crisp with my glasses as they are with the lenses. So I am committed to making them work, but I'm going to make them work ssslllooowwwlllyyy.

No comments: