Sunday, August 17, 2008

Going nowhere fast

We spent $500 monthly on gas in June and July of this year. Some pitiful fraction of that is attributable to Fred, but Fred is a pretty low-mileage guy, given that I can see his old office building from my window. Not what you would call a huge commute, you know? My poor minivan, on the other hand, racked up the miles this summer--driving to and from Alabama, back and forth to E'town for play rehearsal and performances, back and forth to Louisville for haircuts, bassoon lessons, and general shopping and eating.

Know how much I've spent this month on gas? Sixty bucks. And I've still got a quarter of a tank left! Admittedly I started the month of August with a full tank of gas bought the end of July, but still. That's a pretty hefty drop, don't you think? All I'm doing now is driving to and from the high school to get Mike after cross country practice, driving just off post once a week to take Annabelle to her musical theater class, zipping her over to her piano lesson once a week, and making the occasional trip to the commissary. The dance studio is probably 5 miles away, but everything else is well within 2 miles of the house.

I bought this current tank of gas on the 8th of August, and I hope I can make it last until this Friday. We go back up to Louisville that afternoon for another bassoon lesson, so I'll definitely need to fill up then. As if I needed more incentive to stay home!

No comments: