Monday, August 04, 2008

First day of school . . . and a visitor

Well, today marks our FOURTH first day of school at Fort Knox. Mike is a junior, and Annabelle is in eighth grade:



Apparently the universe was worried I might be lonely today, so this little guy showed up on my back porch:





I watched him sit there for at least an hour. At one point an adult robin flew over and stuffed a worm in him, and he seemed happy enough. I knew he couldn't sit there all day--not without baking once the afternoon sun hit him, at any rate. So when my soon-to-be-former neighbor Tammy (wah!) arrived to clear her quarters, we went on one final bird rescue together. We herded him into a corner and Tammy grabbed him, and we walked him across the alley and deposited him in a nice shrubby patch. You should have heard the little stinker scream when Tammy nabbed him! That brought out the avian cavalry--at least a half-dozen robins flew in from all over and even a cardinal stopped by to see what was going on. I joked with Tammy that she was playing the Tippi Hedren role in our backyard production of The Birds.

No comments: