Sunday, June 03, 2012

New wheels!

I've been aware for some time now that I really needed to be getting a new car. My poor old van was still running fine, but it needed a lot of work: the check-engine light was stuck in the on position, and I could no longer direct which vents I wanted the air in the front to come out of. Little things like that, but they would have been expensive to fix, and we were up over 250,000 miles.

I knew what I wanted: something with great gas mileage that we could pay off within a year. As much as I loved my van (and the Honda Accord I had before it), I did NOT love several years of high car payments. Oh, and I also wanted some cool bells and whistles--heated seats, XM radio, on-board navigation, that kind of thing. We compared the Toyota Corolla and Nissan Sentra, and Sentra came out the winner (although it was really close), just like it did last year when we bought Mike's car.

Here's the new baby!



And here's the proof that the old baby was getting pretty long in the tooth:



I have to admit I cried a little bit when we said goodbye to the van. My kids grew up in that van!



I think we'll be quite happy with the Sentra though. Just as soon as I figure out how to work out all the gadgets!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bonnie and Fred,

Every time you come to Deland, I'd be surprised to see the old then still running. You must've taken good care of it to last that long!

Joanne and I had a Sentra from 1986 to 1998 and it served us very well although it didn't have all the gadgets you have and was stick shift.

Dave

Bonnie said...

Thanks, Dave! Yeah, the van continued to amaze us. I'm enjoying the new car, but now I'm having the stress of worrying about it getting scratched and such. Didn't really have to worry about the van, as it was pretty beat up in recent years. ;-)

sherrijj said...

You're going to love that satellite radio Bonnie! We love ours... Enjoy the new car!
Love,
Sherri

Bonnie said...

Annabelle is all excited because we have Canadian stations, so now she can listen to French. LOL

Teresa said...

Frank drove my accord to AL this past weekend. He said he got 29mpg. Not bad for a 1991 with 311K miles. Thankfully our repairs are still minimal each year, but I think I'll probably be car-shopping in next couple of years.

Bonnie said...

I had hoped to get to 300K on my van, but the repairs were starting to happen, and it just wasn't worth it. Nicely done with the Accord though!