Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Schrodinger's cat goes to camp

Annabelle chose not to take her cell phone with her to camp, a decision that I initially applauded. How nice, I thought, for her to have a week without the Internet/Facebook/texting monkey on her back, a week for her to focus on her music and to read a book or just stare at the lake during the quiet times. What I didn't count on was how cut off it was going to make ME feel.

I'm dying to find out if she's having fun. Is she learning a lot? Has she made friends? Did she pack the right clothes? At any given moment, she may be happy or she may be miserable, but I won't know until Thursday. I'm reminded of the story of Schrodinger's cat, which is best explained by Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory:



Over the past couple of days, I've become somewhat of an Internet stalker detective, trying my best to get a peek inside the box. I've been following the Interlochen weather reports (thunderstorms! hail!), which is child's play. But I've also been checking Twitter and Tumblr, media that I haven't used much in the past, to find updates from her fellow campers who didn't leave their phones with their mothers.

GoBassoon Reeds has tweeted a couple of photos from workshops, but I haven't gotten a clear view of Annabelle yet. I THINK that the person to the far left in this photo might be her (red sneakers, pink water bottle), but without a head it's kind of hard to be sure:



Until I open the box on Thursday, I'll just have to hope that this photo I snapped on my way out of camp is representative of the overall experience:

2 comments:

Jenny-Ninny said...

Glad she had fun! Can't wait to see y'all.

Bonnie said...

Can't wait to see you, too, Jenny! :-)