Friday, July 30, 2010

My old Kentucky home, good night

We moved out of the house Wednesday night when the moving van pulled away. Fred and I moved out to Brandenburg to Phil and Amy's new house, Annabelle spent that first night with a friend before joining us the next night, and Mike went to stay with his friend Mark. Since then we've been busy taking care of last-minute tasks and getting signed out of the house and Fort Knox in general. Tonight we went to see Jersey Boys with dear friends, and it really was the perfect way to end our time in Kentucky.

I feel like I should be more broken up over leaving. So many of our friends from on post though have already left, either this summer or in previous ones, and there is comfort in knowing that our friends from off post will be here for years to come. There are changes afoot at Knox, some big, some small--for example, they moved the flag from the parade field to the new human resources building, and I could no longer hear the bugles from my house. It just feels like time to set out in search of new adventures.

Saying good bye tonight was tough though, and I'm feeling a little sentimental. Here's a picture of our mailbox, which I took when we went back on post one last time this morning:



If you go here and click play, you can have a little mood music.

1 comment:

Dad said...

It's the end of an era! I never thought a John Prine song could make me teary-eyed. But I guess it can if he's singing about 1429A 4th Avenue. Good night, old Kentucky home.