Monday, June 14, 2010

That which does not kill me?

I tried something new tonight: Zumba, which is a "fusion of Latin and International music that creates a dynamic, exciting, and effective fitness system." I've been wanting to try it for ages, and there is a class down in E'town several nights a week, but I've always managed to come up with one excuse or another for staying away. Now with the kids in nightly rehearsal in E'town, I have run out of excuses.

At first I felt pretty pathetic at it. Thank goodness there are no mirrors in the room, as I'm sure it looked even worse than I thought. Occasionally though I would have moments of clarity where I would catch on and accidentally do the right steps for a few moments. My mom had warned me that it is hard on the knees, and she was definitely right. I am wondering if dance sneakers might help alleviate some of the torque on my knees. It is hard to slide around in a circle when you are wearing shoes designed to provide traction, you know?

All in all it was lots of fun, and I do plan on going back. Maybe I'll even buy the 10-class punch card!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Love the cartoon! I can relate. Dance sneakers would probably be a good idea.

Teresa said...

My friend that is certified and teaches it here has us barefoot. There is a ladies class sometimes on the rooftop of a local restaurant in the evening. Zumba...wine - great combination, except when it is 95 outside!

Bonnie said...

Hmmm . . . barefoot is an interesting idea. I can't decide if the wine would be good or not. On the one hand, it might loosen up my hips. On the other, I might dance myself right off the roof.