Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Squirrelly

Today on our way to spinning class, Mike and I came upon a sad sight: 2 squirrels had been hit by a car. It got even sadder when I realized that one of the squirrels was still alive. Things were not looking good for him, but I couldn't leave him there on the road to get hit again or just slowly baked to death in the sun. So I got out of the car and moved him into the shady grass on the side of the road to let nature take its course. An hour later when we drove back by, it looked like he had indeed made his final exit.

But then when Annabelle and I drove by TWO more hours later, he was moving around, although not too well. I ran home and we got a box and took him to Monica at Woodland Wildlife Rehabilitation. Monica is amazing! I have taken her so many baby birds over the years that I have lost count, plus she helped me drag Harvey back from death's door last summer. Anyway, she declared Mr. Squirrel to be a February baby and said that the other squirrel (the bigger one) was most likely his mom. She gave him a shot of steroids to help with the brain swelling due to his head injury and started administering fluids. She says if he can make it through the next few days, he will probably be fine although likely blind in one eye.

While we were at Monica's today, Annabelle and I saw 2 week-old kittens sharing an incubator with a baby possum and a bunny, a small falcon, and a large seagull coexisting peacefully. This is her busy time of year, and cage space is in short supply!

Go to Monica's website and check out her photo galleries! Her work is inspiring. She has given her entire house over to helping injured and orphaned wildlife.

No comments: