Wednesday, February 01, 2006

New word for the English language!

I saw 4 movies in 2005, and one of those was the same movie a second time only in German. I've been wanting to see Brokeback Mountain though and knew I could wait a really long time for it to come to a theater near me. Since I had a hair appointment in Louisville this morning at 9, I decided to make a day of it, just me, myself, and I.

I spent a nice, relaxing couple of hours at the salon and am now kind of a redhead if the light hits me juuuuuuust right. I had a couple of hours to kill before the movie, so I went to Target to get something to read over lunch. (I find People magazine to be the perfect dining companion--it's packed with short, interesting snippets that are easy to read between bites; it stays open on its own, unlike most books; and it's cheap, so if you get queso dip on it, who cares?)

My stylist had recommended I try Qdoba Mexican Grill, so I did. I was hoping that it would be a lot like my favorite lunch spot in San Antonio, Habaneros Grill. It was similar, but Habaneros remains number one in my heart. I munched on steak nachos while I learned how Jennifer Aniston is coping in the wake of that whole Brangelina thing.

After lunch I moseyed over to the theater and bought my ticket. This was only the second time I've gone to the movies alone, so it still feels vaguely naughty to me.

Loved, loved, LOVED Brokeback Mountain! I got teary several times and felt rather melancholy afterwards, but I'm so glad that I got to see it. (If you've seen it, email me, 'cause I've got questions! That's the worst part about watching a movie alone--nobody to share the debriefing on the drive home.)

But, Bonnie, you say, where is this new word? A ha! I was just getting to that. So this evening, I'm on the phone with my sister and I'm telling her about what a splendid time I had on my date with myself, and she says . . . "You masturdated." Eureka! Masturdation--to go on a date with one's self.

I even googled to see if maybe it was already a word. What I found is that there are a whole lot of people out there who can't spell masturbation. You know what's sad though? My sister will never know that I have blogged about her gift to the English language, because SHE ONLY LOOKS AT THE PICTURES ON MY BLOG.

  • My invisible friend Jilly found this really funny spoof of a preview for Brokeback Mountain that features footage from Top Gun.

  • My Republican friends (hey, I have more than you might think!) should probably avoid clicking here and here unless they want to see Brokeback Mountain posters featuring Bush and Cheney. Everybody else, feel free to click.

No comments: