Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Portrait of a father as a young kite

You think you'll never forget all the cute things your kids say and do, but it happens. My dad is in the process of cleaning up the image files on his computer, and he sent me an email the other day asking which of my 2 young artists might have been responsible for the May 2000 work entitled "Fred the Kite." I was stumped until he sent me a copy, and then it all came flooding back. Yes, Annabelle (4 years old at the time) was the artist, and I remember her giving the picture that exact name.

I posted "Fred the Kite" on my message board of invisible friends and invited comment on any symbolism or themes in the piece. Kim suggested that perhaps it means, "She's got Daddy wrapped around her finger." Well, that would be true. Tina asked if maybe it could mean, "Daddy is larger than life, and she completely controls him?" Hmmm . . . true again.

Here it is, ladies and gentlemen . . . "Fred the Kite":



(Let this be a lesson to you to label your child's artwork!)

No comments: