Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The joy of sox

Shortly before we moved to Germany, I picked up a knitting magazine that featured clear plastic rainboots and socks made out of funky colored yarn. I HAD to have those boots, so I tracked down a pair and bought my first skein of sock yarn. Unfortunately, the boots were miserably uncomfortable to wear, but I was hooked forever on the pleasures of hand-knit socks and have made several pairs over the years.

This photo shows samples of all my socks, from the very first pair (on the left) to the most recent one (on the right):



The pair featured on the right is so recent, in fact, that it is only half done. I am in the middle of the dreaded SSS or Second Sock Syndrome. Face facts--the second sock is never the thrill that the first one is. This new pair though is a little different from the pattern I used for the first 4 pairs. Note the cool ribbing and the pointy little thinglets all around the top (and please ignore my pasty white leg):



Unfortunately, this new pattern apparently takes more yarn than Old Faithful did, so yesterday I made a road trip up to my fancy-schmancy yarn store in Louisville for an extra skein. Now I just need the opportunity and motivation to knit. Usually long car rides provide me with both, but I am fresh out of travel plans at the moment. On the other hand, I'm procrastinating getting started on a new indexing project, so maybe I could make that work in favor of my socks. ("No, sir, I didn't index your book. But look at these socks! Aren't they cool?") Hmmmm . . .

No comments: