Sunday, January 23, 2011

I got to Kansas City on a snow day

Snow has been the predominant theme around here for the past couple of weeks, and we spend a lot of time wondering whether or not school will get canceled for the next day. I love a good snow day, but now that I'm a workin' girl, I'm pulling more for clear roads.

I started my new internship 2 weeks ago. I am working at the law library at UMKC. So far it's a lot of fun! I'm getting to do a little bit of everything, although the focus for the rest of the month is getting the basement ready for the big renovation project that kicks off in February.

Here are some pics from my first day at work:





That Saturday Fred and I went out to run some errands. There was ice in the river:



and even the Buffalo Soldier looked cold:



I'm working Tuesday through Thursday, and I managed to make it through a whole week the first week. Last week, however, more snow started blowing on Wednesday, and I left early. This is what my drive home looked like:



This was the view from our kitchen:



And from the front porch:



We don't normally have traffic backed up all the way from the main gate to our house, but there was somewhat of an exodus going on, as the fort declared an early release day for everybody.

On Thursday the Leavenworth schools were closed, and I stayed home as well. We got a little more snow last night, and I'm nervous about the drive into the city tomorrow. (I'm working Monday this week to make up for last Thursday.)

Even though it's a gigantic pain in the butt, I love looking at the snow. It's so pretty and peaceful (as long as I don't have to spend much time in it).

Annabelle and I took the dog for a walk at lunchtime today, and I was surprised to discover that a veritable United Nations of snowmen had popped up on our street!







Speaking of the dog, Ginger enjoys a good snow romp to a point, but then she's glad to go back inside:

No comments: