Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Tawanda!

Ha ha, you stupid computer, who's laughing now? Me! That's who!

I did it. It wasn't easy, but I did it. I reformatted that sucker (multiple times) and reinstalled the operating system. I am now downloading 5 years worth of Windows updates and will soon start reinstalling the basic software.

One thing that was immensely helpful to me in this whole horrendous process was the Ultimate Boot CD. It is a set of free programs including the Western Digital diagnostic tools. (I tried getting the WD tools from their website, but it was an exercise in frustration, as the instructions and the experience seemed to have little to do with each other.) It was this set of tools, however, that assured me that the hard drive was in fact fine and allowed me to do that one final reformat.

I think the CD drive might be on its last legs. Reinstallation of the operating system hung up at disc 2 (of 16), so I wound up plugging an external CD drive into a USB port and installing from that. Worked like a charm!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I knew youu could do it... even IF you had your doubts. You are one smart lady. (And beautiful too!!)

I love you! (Can you tell?)

Grandma

Bonnie said...

Thanks, Grandma, I love you, too! Hey, I have almost finished the sweater I started last December. Pictures soon, and I'll be sending back the needles I borrowed. :-D