Friday, March 20, 2009

Everything old is new again

One day last year when I was at Goodwill, I came across a really neat looking cranberry and green houndstooth wool overcoat. The label identified the fabric as Harris Tweed:



Unfortunately, its buttons were a crime against humanity:



Since the coat was only $5, I decided to grab it and deal with the button problem later. On my trip to NYC last November, I stopped in at Tender Buttons on the Upper East Side and dropped $25 on beautiful pewter buttons.

I brought the buttons home and set them on my dresser. Ever since then, I have been meaning to get around to sewing them on, but I never could quite get up the motivation to do so.

We're getting ready to leave for Florida on Tuesday, and I am starting to get ready. In true rearranging-deck-chairs-on-the-Titanic fashion, I decided that one thing I must do before the trip is to take care of these buttons. If nothing else, I figured that having this coat finished and wearable will mean that winter is officially over. I just hope Annabelle's arms don't grow too much longer in the next year:



Answer: Four months and 30 minutes.

Question: How long does it take me to sew on 10 buttons?

No comments: