Sunday, October 28, 2007

Homecoming queen

For the past couple of weeks, I've been telling anybody who will listen that I wasn't this involved in high school when I actually WAS in high school. Somehow I wound up as the sophomore mom this year, and the sophomore mom's big responsibility is to coordinate the parent volunteers for homecoming. Most of October has been a blur of committee meetings and emailing parents to beg for baked goods or chaperones for the dance.

Finding dance chaperones was even harder than you might think. Plenty of kids put their parents on notice that they were cordially invited to be anywhere BUT the dance Saturday night. I was worried that we might not have enough, but in the end I did have a dedicated group show up to oversee the festivities. Also, I made a couple of friends through the International Spouses Club who told me that they were interested in volunteering on post. I said, "Wow, do I ever have a job for you!" Here I am with Carla (from Uruguay) and Cecilia (from Ecuador) working the refreshment table and enjoying the "monster's finger" cookies, which were a huge hit:



We had a great time! I didn't find the music half as painful as I expected, and it was fun watching the kids all dressed up and enjoying themselves.

But Homecoming isn't about me. You want to hear about Mike and whether he had a good time, right? I would have to say that yes, Mike had a very good time this week.

For one thing, he was the male sophomore representative for the Homecoming court. As such, he got a spiffy T-shirt to wear to the pep rally Friday afternoon:



He had to wear a suit to the game Friday night for the presentation. Here he is with Dana, the female sophomore representative (I'll be getting official photos in a week or so and will post them):



Here's a video clip to Mike and Dana's portion of the presentation.

Here are some pictures from Saturday night, the night of the dance. Here he is giving Ariel her corsage:



And the obligatory awkward-picture-in-the-living-room:



At the school, right after having their official pictures made (which, again, I'll post when I get):





During one of the couple dances, one of my friends said, "Oh, look, Mike is dancing with TWO girls!" By the time I got there to take a picture, it had turned into Mike and Brandon and a whole lot of girls:



When the dance ended at 11 last night, it took less than an hour to rip down the decorations and transform the cafeteria back to its normal state. We got home a little after midnight, and I have spent today taking care of tasks that have gone by the wayside while Homecoming consumed every ounce of my attention. It was a great time, but I'm SO glad it's over.

No comments: