Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Charlottesville = food

Remember 3 years ago when Fred came to Charlottesville, VA, from Iraq for a conference, and the kids and I met him here? Or 2 years ago when we came for the conference fresh on the heels of our overseas move and our trip to FL to pick up the car and the cat, and I was so busy that apparently I never got around to blogging it? Or last year when we came for the conference and brought the kids and our new puppy with us? Well, it's that time of year again, but this time, Fred and I are on our own. (My dad very graciously agreed to fly up from Florida to keep an eye on the kids and dog. Thanks, Dad!)

I just completed the formal part of the spouses' program this afternoon. One thing I have noticed about this week in Charlottesville is that every year, it proves to be one enormous festival of gluttony for me.

Sunday: We arrived that evening and went almost immediately to the icebreaker at the JAG School. Had a couple of glasses of wine and lots of munchies like layer dip and meatballs. Sigh . . . I adore party food.

Monday: We were welcomed that morning by MG Scott Black (TJAG) and attended some lectures on the assignments process and JAG recruiting. All interesting, but the part that stands out in my memory is the delicious luncheon prepared for us by the ladies of the JAG School Spouses' Club. That and our trip to St. Maarten Cafe that night for THE BEST chicken wings ever. (Seriously! If you're ever in C'ville, you must go try the wings. We love the Caribbean jerk and the Jack Daniels Smokey BBQ flavors best.)

Tuesday: More interesting lectures, including a talk about dealing with the media and a history of the JAG Corps. We also sat in with the SJA's all morning for the addresses given by William Haynes (General Counsel of the Department of Defense), Benedict Cohen (General Counsel of the Army--really funny guy who kind of reminded me of Steven Colbert), and General Richard Cody, Vice Chief of Staff of the Army.

Also more food, of course! We had a luncheon catered by Panera, and our guest was Vicki Cody, wife of General Cody and author of the book Your Soldier, Your Army: A Parent's Guide. Mrs. Cody spoke to us about how she came to write her book, which is geared towards helping parents of soldiers understand the workings of the Army and especially deployments. She is a really neat lady and knows what she is talking about, as she has 2 sons, both of whom have served with the 101st Division and have had multiple deployments.

Towards the end of our luncheon, General Cody came up and talked to us himself about the war and about the decision to extend deployments to 15 months to preserve the 12-month dwell time back home in between. He's quite the straight shooter, and it felt pretty neat to have him addressing our little intimate gathering.

Tuesday night was our formal dinner at the Darden center. We enjoyed: pasta purses with marinated olives and sun-dried tomatoes; mixed field greens with sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes; duet of sirloin steak and grilled salmon (Can you tell I'm copying this from the menu card? I would never say I ate a "duet" of anything!); and cappuccino mousse cake. One of our tablemates wasn't eating his dessert, so I ate mine and then I ate his as well (I guess I could say I had a "duet of dessert" if I were so inclined).

Wednesday: This morning we heard a lecture on care team training and dealing with grief in the unit, and then we had a most fascinating lecture from Dr. Mark Welton of West Point on understanding Islamic culture. How fascinating was it? It was so fascinating that I am seriously considering going tomorrow during my free time to hear the address Dr. Welton gives the SJA's on the same subject.

This afternoon we had a luncheon out at the Clifton Inn. I had (again from the menu card): butter lettuce salad with crumbled Vermont cheddar and white balsamic vinaigrette and red onion rings; seared Atlantic salmon with parmesan risotto and lemon dill butter sauce; and apple-phyllo crisp with vanilla whipped cream.

And now we're going to dinner with some of Fred's friends from the 82d Airborne Division! I am really going to be in shape by the end of this week. And that shape will be round.

No comments: