Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Happy Mole-idays!

I'm sure you've been lying in bed the past few nights, unable to sleep, plagued with wonder over what on earth Mike was sewing the other day. Well, now it can be revealed: He was sewing a mole for his Chemistry class.

"A mole?!" you say. "For CHEMISTRY?!" That is EXACTLY what I said! Great minds think alike, I guess.

Yes, Tuesday was National Mole Day. According to the website: "Celebrated annually on October 23 from 6:02 a.m. to 6:02 p.m., Mole Day commemorates Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 10^23), which is a basic measuring unit in chemistry." How have I made it to the age of 40 without knowing that?!

His assignment was to create a mole that represented his chosen element, radium. I showed him how to use the sewing machine, powering it by the hand wheel instead of the pedal, and he did quite a nice job sewing it together. I confess though to helping when it came time to sew the little hands and feet on. Here is "Mole-icious:"



So happy belated Mole Day!

No comments: