Friday, August 04, 2006

Jailhouse rock

I did a little time in jail today. You don't believe me? Well, it's true.

Turns out that there is a confinement facility right here on Fort Knox AND they serve T-bone steaks and shrimp for lunch for $3.75 on Fridays. Fred found out about it yesterday when he and some of his coworkers took a tour, so of course they made plans to return today for the food. I am nothing if not a cheap date, so I went along.

I was amazed by how many of our neighbors I ran into at lunch. Apparently the jail is the hot, happening, local lunch venue. They certainly served a full house!

The NCO who runs the show there is an amazing woman. She grabbed me in a warm hug when Fred introduced us, and she went through the crowd handing out hot dinner rolls from a basket. I don't think she could have shown greater hospitality had we been guests in her very own home.

The food itself was surprisingly good. I think I've discovered the secret to portion control though--plastic flatware. A plastic knife is just not a worthy opponent for a well-done steak. (Fred says it's especially hard to eat steak with a plastic spoon and plastic knife, as he apparently had to do on more than one occasion in Iraq. Support the troops--send forks!) I had no utensil problems, however, when it came to devouring the slice of Derby pie (yes, Derby pie! in prison!!) that I shared with Fred.

After we gorged ourselves, we gathered the office together for a group photo. I thought it would be funnier if we could put Fred BEHIND the bars, but that didn't work out:

No comments: