Monday, July 10, 2006

The days, they are a-flyin'

Thursday, 7/6th: Annabelle and I walked into Käfertal in the morning to find a yarn needle so I can graft the toe to my newest knitted sock. Along the way, we found this quaint little house:



We wound up at the Mini Mal, so we went ahead and got the fixings for a great picnic lunch. Annabelle also got this cool World Cup hat for 5 euros (I saw it in downtown Heidelberg later in the week for 15!):



We took our picnic lunch and headed over to Miramar to meet my friends Jutta and Iris and their kids. The pictures on my camera of the 3 of us girls didn't come out very good, so I'm waiting to see if Iris had any better luck with hers. I'm kicking myself for not having grabbed all the kids together for a group photo, but here's a picture of Mike and Annabelle with Iris's kids:



And here's one of Mike, sporting some seriously crazy hair:



Friday, 7/7th: Annabelle and I rode the streetcar:



over to Heidelberg to meet my friend Jennifer for sushi:



After lunch, we walked all the way down the main street of town to catch a glimpse of the castle ruins:



and then we shopped our way back up the street:



By the time we got back to the streetcar stop to head home, our arms were aching from carrying all our bags. The biggest score of the day was a pair of Josef Seibel shoes for Annabelle for 20 euros (about $25 bucks). Seibel shoes sell for $100+ back in the States. (Yes, Fred, even in Europe, I am saving you billions of dollars . . . by buying stuff!)

All the pictures from that day, including lots of shots of downtown Heidelberg and one really cute one of Jennifer with her son Asher, are here.

Saturday, 7/8th: I took Annabelle up to Hanau on the train to drop her off for a sleepover with her friend Autumn, who used to live across the street from us here in Mannheim. It was a quick and easy trip, but it reminded me of how much I love riding the trains over here and how much I wish that we had more time so as to squeeze in more traveling. Annabelle and Autumn were very happy to see each other:



Sunday, 7/9th: Not much to report. I spent a lot of the day starting to sort our stuff for the trip back to the States on Wednesday.

Last night we watched the final game of the World Cup. I was cheering for France, and you see how well that turned out for the French. I think I could have a lucrative career. Say you're a fan of Team X--you could pay me to root for Team Y. If I'm going to be cursed, I think I should at least be able to profit from it.

No comments: