Sunday, October 20, 2013

Banner weekend

It's funny to think back on how reluctant we were to come to the DC area. We are having the best time! This weekend was fantastic.

Friday night, Fred and I took the metro up to Foggy Bottom and had dinner at Circa. I never knew a mojito could be worth $11, but it so totally was! I also had the scallops and risotto, which I will probably dream about for weeks to come.

After supper, we made our way over to George Washington University to hear David Sedaris speak. Afterwards we stood in line for hours to get my book signed, but again--totally worth it! Sedaris is super-friendly, and the reason the line takes so long is that he talks to every single person. I got to tell him what an indexer is, and I made him laugh when I told him I had been working on an index for a book on "patent prosecution in federal court but it isn't nearly as exciting as it sounds." When he signed my book, he drew me as a cat:



We didn't get home until close to 2 a.m., so we spent most of Saturday in recovery mode. Saturday afternoon/evening though, we went to 2 different get-togethers with Army friends from various points of Fred's career. Then we topped off the weekend today by finally participating in the ALS walk in the city with friends who go back to Fred's first tour at Bragg. We've sent a small donation annually for years, but it was so nice to be able to be a part of it.

No comments: