Monday, September 06, 2010

Laborious

As my grandmother pointed out in the comments to my previous post, we have put the labor in "Labor Day" this weekend. I think poor Fred is looking forward to going to work tomorrow just so he can get a break. He has been painting like crazy!

Here is the kitchen, which is Sherwin Williams' Hinoki, as is the butler's pantry and our bathroom on the second floor:



On my monitor at least, this seems to be a pretty true representation of the color. It's a delicious buttery yellow, just like Karla suggested.

The living room and dining room are both Ecru, which looks too yellow here and is actually more on the green side:





The dining room table is still cluttered with all sorts of stuff that we're just not sure where it should go. Where should one keep the white cat, for example?



The weekend hasn't been all about painting though; it has also been about shopping. We went to Nebraska Furniture Mart on Saturday afternoon and ordered a 55-inch television, a sound system, and a Blu-Ray player. Later on, I ordered 2 of these things, which I think might be the ugliest furniture I have ever wanted:



Annabelle and I test drove one in person the other day and fell in love. It rocks! It reclines! It has cupholders! It is the furniture equivalent of sensible shoes, but since they will be hidden away in our man cave on the third floor, who really cares?

Then we ran into La-Z-Boy and picked out and purchased a new red sofa in under 15 minutes, which has to be some sort of record:



Today I made another score off of Craiglist. We have to put the cat food up on something to keep the dog out of it, and this is how we had it in the butler's pantry:



Thanks to Craigslist and a nice lady in the suburbs of Kansas City, now it looks like this:



Everything is clicking along quite nicely, but I'm afraid we have something of a purple problem going on in the foyer. Remember how we had chosen Sherwin Williams' Mature Grape? I'm afraid a better name for it might have been Smuckers. It looked for all the world like grape jelly, although it was better after the second coat. We made an emergency run back to Sherwin Williams and brought home samples of Cordovan and Marooned. Marooned is the one in the middle, and it's the one I like. Fred hates them all but if pressed prefers Cordovan, which is on the right.



Thoughts? I'm wondering if we should just give up on purple (which breaks my heart) and go with a gold or olive drab, maybe something from the dining room rug:



At least we didn't have trouble picking out flags for the front of the house!

13 comments:

kathe said...

Is it my monitor, or does Cordovan look like it would go smashingly with the dining room rug? The middle color looks *really dark, and your grape jelly? Not sure you have to give up- but it seems like it would be hard to accessorize around? If you love it, however, you must fully commit!

Dad said...

I like the new flag! And the cordovan color makes a pretty good paint (but a better shoe polish). Finally, the pea-green rocker-recliners...I can see you and Annabelle giving them a test drive. I'll bet you looked just like Chandler and Joey!

Anonymous said...

I like Cordovan the best of the three, given the dining room rug, which I am assuming will be visible from the room you're painting?

We painted our foyer in our last house a lovely merlot shade. Rich is trying to see if he can find its name. It's from SW too.

Anonymous said...

Oh that was posted by me, Patty!

Anonymous said...

The Cordovan looks far more red on your wall (or my monitor?) than it looks on the SW strips I have in my lap.

Patty

Unknown said...

Cordovan has my vote; picks up the same color in the rug.

Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm in awe of you, just thinking of all that work you've done so far; and you still have paint brush in hand, ready to charge again. Better take some time out to enjoy your new surroundings, catch your breath, and THEN head back to SW.

By the way, you're doing a great job!! Love, Grandma

Becky said...

I like the green from the swatch on your blog and the leaves in the living room chairs. I think that color is a good neutral. It would go with your color scheme.

Cary said...

What a fun blog! I join you in color confusion- I have chosen a neutral beige called Unrestrained Gold for most of the house. Some of the rooms are to be painted Sandarac green. I admire your ability to go bold. I say go with the color that makes you happy.

Heather said...

Bonnie, it has been quite awhile since I have commented on here, but I have read your posts on Facebook about your move.
I have been busy in preperation of our move in December. We are finally leaving Germany, but going through seven years worth of accumulation is not fun, especially when the husband is deployed.
Your house looks lovely. I adore the staircase and the wood floors. I have to say I like the Cordovan as well, but you should have the color you like the best. Good luck on the rest of your painting and unpacking.

Teresa said...

That purple really makes the piece of furniture in front of it disappear, but the furniture in front of Cordovan shows up. It takes a few weeks to get used to a bold color, but you'll be glad you did after that. I've seen a kitchen in cordovan and it was pretty. Have fun! Tell Fred it is only paint...

Anonymous said...

This is the cutest blog! I love all the family posts. This site came up for me because I just picked cordovan for out exterior to go with some cedar shingles. I want to tell you, I have an unusual purple-ish color in my entry way that I love called Bei Pink from valspar. You might want to try a sample? Its an earthy, greyish, light, lavender purple, neutralish even, but has all the best aspects of purple. I was so overwhelmed the guy at the hardware store picked it for me. I love purples because they are warmer and prettier than blues and grays. Purple and greens and creams go really well together. And it doesn't clash with red because red is in purple. Good luck in the color trenches! Jenny

Bonnie said...

Thanks for commenting, Jenny! I have really been neglecting my poor old blog. Sorry your comment sat in moderation for weeks.

We just painted another house and yet again, purple just wasn't in the cards for me. I love it though!