Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Photo barrage

Oh, sweet blessed Internet, it has been a long, dry spell! We didn't bother getting the cable hooked up in the new house since we were going to be heading out on vacation after only a week, and the past few days we've been on the road with little opportunity to connect. Now we are all 4 sitting around my parents' living room, each tucked under his or her computer. I will take advantage of this connectivity to post a bunch of random photos.

First of all, this is the major damage incurred during our move:



That's the hutch to my computer desk. Somehow it shifted during shipment, and the cardboard "wood" backing got a little crumpled. Fred was able to fix it OK. Eventually, I would like to replace the backing with paneling, but this will do for now.

The cats are enjoying the new house. Eddie tried to make himself at home in my limited kitchen cabinet space:



Meanwhile Harvey set about exploring all 4 (nonworking) fireplaces and wound up with some very dirty feet:



We did manage to get a lot of unpacking done in the brief time we were in the house. Patty was right--pots and pans weren't the look I wanted for the built-in in the butler's pantry. Instead I went with Christmas china and miscellaneous wine and beer glasses:



I have the cat and dog food set up in the butler's pantry but would be open to getting something a little more aesthetically pleasing than this:



I made the tall, skinny kitchen cabinet into a ghetto for our most commonly used appliances:



I wound up putting our plates and bowls in the double cabinet by the stove. Cups and glasses are in that weird corner upper cabinet with mixing bowls and pots and pans in the one underneath. It came together fairly well, but I am eager to get a dish drainer that sits in the sink instead of taking up counter space:



For the time being, we are using our old table in the kitchen. I would love to get an old-fashioned Formica and chrome set though. Maybe I have been watching too much Mad Men?



Nothing dramatic here, but just to give full coverage to the entire kitchen:



This is our room, but the pictures are already outdated:





It didn't take more than one night for Fred and me to figure out that having cats stepping on our heads as they try to wriggle their way behind the window blinds is NOT fun. So the very next morning, Fred and Mike picked up the bed and turned it 180 degrees to the interior wall. Now the blanket chest is on the exterior wall, and my dresser is on the right-hand wall.

Here is Fred's office, as seen from our room:



And here is MY office! There is a fireplace behind that bunch of boxes and bookcase to the right:



The fourth room on the second floor is a guest room, with an eclectic mishmash of furniture:



The kids' rooms are both on the third floor. Here is Annabelle's room:





And here is Mike's:





All in all, I think we got a lot done in 2 days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys are amazing! Even to getting all those magnets on the refridgeraterand time to take all those pictures. After I recover from having my new knee put in in September we might arrange to visit you.

Looking forward to having lunch with you this noon.

Love, Joy and Peace,

Dave