Sunday, December 20, 2009

The right choice

I'm glad that I brought Annabelle back up to Kentucky for Bruce's funeral today. Probably 25 to 30 kids from the drama group showed up to sing, and they sounded amazing. Not to go all "Little Drummer Boy" here, but I think it had to make an impression on Bruce's family to see how important he was to so many young people. I was touched to see how the kids comforted each other. We parents hung out on the sidelines while they cried together and hugged each other. That was what confirmed it for me that making the trip back up here was the right thing to do: Annabelle needed to be around others who are hurting in the same way she is.

After the service, we had a bite of lunch at home, and then she sat down to watch a movie. At around 4, I left to visit a friend, and she said she was going to take a nap. When I got home at 6, I woke her up so that she would be able to get back to sleep tonight. She was so out of it though that she thought it was 6 o'clock Monday morning. It took a few minutes to convince her that it was still Sunday night. This has been an exhausting few days!

No comments: