Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Face to face

I think I'm in love. I spent a lot of time this afternoon messing around with Picasa, Google's free--FREE!--photo organizing software, and I am indeed in heaven. The main selling point to me is that Picasa seems to work very well in conjunction with my file management system. Elements, on the other hand, got its digital panties in a twist anytime I moved a file from one folder to another.

Picasa's face detection ability is also amazing. Elements 7 says, "Here's a face. Who is it?" Picasa says, "Here's a face, and I think it might be Annabelle." You click to accept or reject a suggestion, and it just gets smarter and smarter. Here is a screenshot from earlier this afternoon to show you a group of photos that Picasa pulled together as being of Annabelle:



Amazing, no? Long hair, short hair, yarn hair, glasses, no glasses, whatever. It does a remarkably good job of recognizing people.

It's also addictive. I meant to stop an hour ago. I'll never get any Bejeweled Blitz played at this rate.

No comments: