Saturday, December 29, 2007

LeavingLeft on a jet plane

Fred and I drove up to Louisville this afternoon to take Mike to the airport so that he could catch his plane to Tucson. He's going for a week to visit his friend Nick. He's so excited; I kept marveling that this can't be the same kid who cried at sleepovers in the second grade. That doesn't seem like that long ago, but he certainly didn't have any second thoughts as we bid him farewell at the security line:



After we deposited Mike at the airport, Fred and I went to do a little shopping. Apparently, the dress code for school next year is "business casual," and given that he spends most of his waking hours in uniform, Fred's business casual wardrobe leaves a fair bit to be desired. We have decided to work on it a little bit each month so that we don't get hit with a huge clothing bill at the last minute. So today we went to Kohl's and got him a camel hair blazer, a pair of dress pants, and a pair of blue jeans (not for school but just because he desperately needed them). We made a quick stop at the mall, where I ran into Sephora to get some makeup that I needed. The crowds were crazy, so we didn't stay long.

For supper, we decided to go to Lynn's Paradise Cafe, which I have been dying to try. Lynn's Paradise Cafe is a cool little spot near downtown with good food and funky decor. According to Esquire magazine (2002), it is "one of the four most fun restaurants in America." As we sat at our table, I kept noticing little touches, like the dinosaur on our table and the fake legs hanging out of the wall and the bottlecap mosaic. Fred had an omelet, and I had the potato pancakes with herbed goat cheese. All the food was great, and we will definitely be going there again!



Mike called while we were shopping at Whole Foods after supper to let us know that he had arrived in Chicago. I guess he's somewhere in the air between Chicago and Tucson now. I hope he has a great time!

No comments: