Saturday, May 06, 2006

Beautiful day for a derby

We are in the middle of a nice, long weekend. The kids had Thursday and Friday off from school, and Fred hosted a picnic here at the house yesterday for the Fort Knox JAG offices. The weather was amazingly cooperative, and we all had a blast. After lunch, we divided into teams for a rousing game of Taboo:



Today was Derby day, but we decided not to take part in the Derby festivities this year. Instead we have hung back and watched and planned what we want to do next year. For example, we want to get a hotel room downtown for Thunder over Louisville. And we want to go have breakfast at Dawn at the Downs. And I want to go to Kroger to watch the floral department make the garland of lillies for the Oaks winner and the garland of roses for the Derby winner. And I want a hat, a really big hat. If we leave Kentucky and I don't have a hat, I shall consider this entire tour to be an utter failure. Oh, and I want to drink a mint julep too, even though I googled it, and I think it sounds rather disgusting. Maybe I'll just take a small sip.

We all drove up to Louisville this afternoon for a lunch of Indian food and a shopping trip to Whole Foods. Then we came home and watched the race on TV. I was pulling for Sinister Minister because, let's face it, he had the coolest name. It looked for a few seconds like I had picked a winner, but then Barbaro came blasting through for the big win. Oh, well, it's not like I had any cash riding on it.

We capped off our lowkey Derby day by having Derby pie for supper. Nothing like a meal of chocolate-pecan pie smothered in whipped cream!

No comments: