Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Formals and heavy machinery

What a weekend we had! I truly meant to blog this days ago (is it REALLY Wednesday already?), but somehow time slipped away.

Our formal Thursday night wound up getting canceled because of the icky weather. I felt guilty for being so happy, because it was a really big deal awards dinner, and apparently people had come in from all over the country to attend. We got our ticket money back, but frankly I would have paid $40 for the opportunity to stay home that night.

Saturday night we went to the USAREC holiday formal. I wore the red dress I bought for last spring's JAG prom. If there is one thing that offsets the psychological trauma we are inflicting on our children by moving every other year, it must be the fact that I do get a lot of opportunities to re-wear the same dress without worrying that people are thinking, "Why, here's Bonnie . . . and her dress." Here's me confessing my secret hopes and wishes to Santa Claus:



And here I am with Fred. You may remember that the last time I wore this dress, I had a rodent as a date, so I am definitely moving up in the world:



As I was contemplating getting ready for Saturday night's formal, my next-door neighbor called to tell me about the huge water line break out in front of our duplex. She had put in the emergency work order and figured they would be showing up at any minute to turn off our water and fix the pipe. Fred and I set a world record for showering, but we needn't have hurried. When we returned from the formal some 6 hours later, we still had water. At around 11 that night, however, they parked a huge tractor in our front yard, dug up the pipe, and kept pumps and other loud machinery running for a good 2 hours:



Sunday morning I refused to get out of my jammies until it was time to squeeze myself back into my wonder unders and put on the new dress I had ordered to replace the velvet one that seems to have inexplicably shrunk over the years. We dropped the kids off at the movies to see Narnia, and then we drove down to Elizabethtown (yes, the one just like in the movie of the same name) for the CG's holiday reception. We had a nice time. Secure in the knowledge that the wonder unders were on the job, I gorged myself on shrimp cocktail and the most amazing dip made from Vidalia onions and cheese. Here's the obligatory in-front-of-the-tree shot:



You might think that we would be done with our holiday social obligations after a weekend like that, but we're not. There's one office party and 2 coffees standing between us and packing to head for Florida after school next Tuesday. Ho ho ho!

No comments: