Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Getting ready for the Great Pumpkin

Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. I love making costumes for the kids, and I have whipped up some doozies in the past, if I do say so myself.

I spent the entire month of October our second year in Hawaii, for example, transforming Annabelle into a princess on a pink pony. She wore it 2 years in a row, winning prizes with it both times. Here she is modeling her horse in Texas:



That was the same year Mike decided he wanted to be a werewolf. A little makeup and a lot of spirit gum and fake hair and voila! instant werewolf:



With Halloween coming so close on the heels of the neverending move this year, I've had to prioritize where to direct my limited holiday energies. Annabelle has asked for a fairly complicated costume (you'll have to wait until Halloween to see!), so that is sucking most of my energy and causing a wee bit of anxiety for me. Mike's is fairly simple yet fiendishly clever and alarmingly appropriate (again, wait until Monday!). I have all the supplies and just need a little sewing time.

What I haven't had time for this year is decorating, unless you count cardboard boxes and very little furniture as some sort of spooky theme. Fred did pick up one little decorative item the other day though. Let my neighbors deck their houses and yards with pumpkins, baskets of gourds, and bales of hay. Who needs all that? Not me. I have the one, the only (out of a stack of hundreds at Walmart) . . . agonized rat:



(Click on the photo to see the rat writhe in agony.)

No comments: