Friday, October 28, 2005

From the knock-me-over-with-a-feather file

So I'm sitting in the library at Annabelle's school the other day, working the book fair with a couple of other moms. We're chatting about our kids, and business is slow, so somehow I wind up telling all about our recent adventures in reentering the world of formal education. I happen to mention how ironic it was that it took longer for Annabelle to settle in, given that it was her idea in the first place and that Mike needed some pretty firm nudging to get him back into an educational institution.

One of the other moms says, "Hey, I've got a daughter at the middle school," and we start musing over whether or not Mike and her daughter might have any classes together. All of a sudden, something clicks, and I see a lightbulb go on over this woman's head.

"Good grief, YES, I know Mike!" she cries. "I've even had Mike in my house." Turns out that her daughter is one of his good friends here in the neighborhood.

So why did it take her so long to make the connection? "Well," she explains, "the only Mike I know used to be homeschooled and HAD TO BEG HIS MOTHER TO LET HIM GO TO SCHOOL!" Yes, my friends, THAT is apparently the story that's circulating on the streets. How very flowers in the attic of me, don't you think?

No comments: